So I recently posted about how I have reduced my meat intake due to poor animal living conditions and I also mentioned a little trick to boycott the system is to use Quorn products.
For those of you who don’t know what Quorn is: it’s a meat free meat replacement. Its made made from Mycoprotein, a ‘nutritionally healthy protein, that is low in saturated fats and high in fibre’.
It’s been proven to be a great alternative to meat if you’re trying to manage your weight, if you are vegetarian, great for your heart health and many other health benefits. Here in Munich It is quite hard to find however it is getting more popular. I know the English Shop on Rosenheimerstraße sells it and also some Rewe and Edeka shops. Be sure to look in the vegetarian sections.
For those of you who doubt it, please give it a try because I honestly can’t really taste a difference once put into a tomato sauce. Cook it for your husbands and boyfriends without telling them and I bet you, they won’t notice the difference!
I use it exactly the same way I would minced meat. Here is my spag bol recipe for you and it makes roughly 2 portions, if you are cooking for more then just double:
1 red bell pepper
salt and pepper (I also like to add a bit of chilli because im a spicy fiend)
Tinned tomatoes (be careful! look for little to no sugar, often tinned tomatoes contain a lot of sugar)
Tomato paste (if you like a bit more flavour)
chopped clove of garlic
- Dice the onions and pepper quite small.
- Heat coconut oil and add in the peppers and onions until golden.
- Add the chopped garlic and lightly fry. Be careful not to burn it.
- Add your Quorn mince, enough for however many you are cooking for.
- Season with salt and pepper and mix for about 4 minutes.
- Pour over the tinned tomatoes and let it simmer over a low heat for 10 minutes.
- Add some tomato paste for extra flavour if needed.
- Try and season to taste once again.
I usually swap normal noodles for zoodles or gluten free noodles.
Voila….. enjoy it! Its super healthy, quick and easy to make! Let me know if you like it!