I love Creme Brûlée, so much so that I have, on occasions, ordered two after my main meal because I just can’t get enough and because I’m a piggy.
So I decided to try a Paleo version. I have to admit, it’s a good second best and with the unusual bit of lemon added into this recipe its quite yummy. Most of all I love the fact that it still looks like a creme brûlée and has the glazed look on the top!
I’ve been spending more time recently trying new recipes, especially those that stick to the Paleo lifestyle. I think I have found that once you know how, and make an effort, sticking to Paleo at home isn’t that hard. You can always find a substitute, sure it may not be a great replacement, but if you’re serious about the health benefits of Paleo, they should outweigh the difficulites at the beginning when getting used to the changes.
1 1/2 cup coconut milk
6 egg yolks
2 tsp Lemon zest
1 vanilla bean
- Preheat the oven to 180C or 350F
- Whip the eggs in a bowl, this works best if eggs are at room temperature
- Mix the honey in with the eggs and also the seeds inside the vanilla bean
- While mixing, pour in the coconut milk and to finish sprinkle in the lemon zest and continue to mix well.
- This mixture makes four small ramekins like in the picture. Put the glass ramekins in another glass dish and fill the glass dish half way with water.
- Lightly grease the ramekins with coconut oil and fill them with the creme brûlée mixture.
- Place into the preheated oven for around 30-40 mins. You may need to turn them in the oven to get an even glaze on the top. It’s done when the custard like mixture has set and has a thicker consistency and doesn’t move much.
Voila …..let me know what you think and if you liked it!