Fajitas – My guilty pleasure …along with nachos covered in cheese and guacamole, sour cream, salsa and jalapeños. However I only eat them on special occasions (when I’m out in a restaurant or someone’s birthday) and sadly not every day is a special occasion! Boohoo! So I have to find healthier versions of everything.
So you may well know I have just moved house! I have been without a kitchen for three months, THREE MONTHS LADIES! …and today is the day I get my kitchen!!! Hallelujah! Doesn’t a nice kitchen just make you take pride in your food and cooking even more?! I think it does! So I honestly cannot wait until everything is FINALLY finished.
In the meantime I have managed to make some healthy meals to share with you! This one was honestly probably up there with my top 5! Mushroom Fajitas! I always advocate having a healthy BALANCED diet, so if you want to have tortillas, have tortillas, but it’s nice to have a lower calorie, healthier option too of course! This option is not only low carb, but also Paleo if you leave out the cheese! They are also gluten free & for a vegetarian option you could swap the chicken for quorn minced meat & make like a burrito.
I didn’t measure, I just made, so if the ingredients don’t quite add up sorry 😀
Ingredients for 2 people:
1 Red onion diced
1 Red pepper diced
2 Chicken Breasts diced
1 Avocado (mashed up or diced)
6 large Portobello Mushrooms
Cajun Spice Seasoning (to season chicken)
Salt & Pepper
Paprika Seasoning (sweet or spicy, or a mix – whichever you prefer)
Grated Cheese (optional)
(normally I would also have a salsa and some sour cream too)
This is how we do:
- Pre-heat the oven to 180, lightly brush the mushrooms with some olive oil, and pop into the oven to soften for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt some coconut oil in a pan on a medium heat and add both the onions and peppers until golden brown and soft. Cover in a bit of paprika, salt and pepper to season. Then place them to one side.
- Cover the diced chicken in Cajun seasoning and salt and pepper. Once again add some coconut oil to the pan and fry until golden brown.
- Then dice the avocado or make your own guacamole. Check out my simple recipe for guacamole if you don’t know how to make your own!
- Mushrooms should be done and out by now, if not then you’ve probably burnt them haha. Ok so the non burnt mushrooms, fill them the pepper and onion mix, then the chicken, then some guacamole and sprinkle with some grated cheese.
- Place back into the oven for 5-10 minutes, and then take out and serve with salsa and sour cream. YUM!